How to prepare your Dubai property for viewings
You have put your Dubai property on the market, have booked the viewings, and are ready to sell. There is only one thing missing from the equation — a buyer. Finding a buyer is perhaps the most interesting and challenging thing in the entire house-selling process. In addition, this is why preparing your property nicely for viewings is an important clog in the wheel.
In a perfect world, your property would speak for itself. However, sometimes, you must help prospective buyers see the full potential of your property. From spring-cleaning your home before putting it on the market to last minutes touch-ups like giving it some curb appeal can go a long way in helping you find a buyer quickly and swiftly.
In this post, we will tell you everything you need to know about preparing your Dubai property for viewing.
Make a good first impression
Remember you will not get a second chance to make a first impression. So, make it count. Most prospective buyers are going to judge your home instinctively the moment they see it. Moreover, often a bad first impression lasts forever, regardless of what comes later.
Step outside your property and try to see it from the perspective of someone who has never laid eyes on it before. Next, ask yourself these questions:
- Are pathways cleared of mess? Does the entrance to your home/apartment look inviting?
- Is the paint on your main doors and entrance walls coming off? Or does it look as good as new?
- Should you put some display features (like ornaments, flowerpots, and others) to enhance the look of your house/apartment?
In case any of these areas require some attention, do the needful before you proceed with the first viewing. With the exterior taken care of, you should move on to the interior.
It goes without saying that appealing living areas can make your property look more enticing. Utilize the space in such a way that helps buyers visualize themselves winding down and relaxing after a busy day.
Keep in mind the following pointers:
- Declutter the living space and remove personal possessions
- Give your curtains a thorough wash. You may keep them open if it is not too hot outside on the viewing day
- Make sure the house is thoroughly clean and smell-free
Kitchens and Bathrooms
It is easy to forget bathrooms when you are preparing a house for a viewing, but that could prove to be a big mistake. An unclean or cluttered bathroom can put off buyers, and the same goes for your kitchen as well.
Consider these tips to spruce up your bathroom before a potential buyer pays a visit:
- Remove empty shampoo bottles, hand wash bottles, etc.
- Make sure the towels are fresh and nicely folded
- Check any grouting/sealant for mold. If necessary, reseal it.
- Make sure bathroom tiles, bathroom tub, and bath fittings look spick and span
- Use an air freshener, but try to go with chemical-free, non-toxic bathroom air fresheners (because some people are allergic to chemical-based fresheners)
Once you have taken care of your bathrooms, it’s time to prepare your kitchen for a viewing. Here are some tips to follow:
- Clean all surfaces and polish them
- Put away unnecessary appliances
- Make sure the oven is clean
- If you have a pet, remove its food bowl
Be ready for questions prospective buyers may throw at you
Some of the most common questions potential buyers usually ask:
- How long has the house been on the market?
- What is your reason for moving?
- What recent additions and improvements have you made to the property?
- What is the neighborhood like?
- Are there any grocery stores and medical clinics nearby?
- What kind of amenities are available in the neighborhood (like parks, cycling tracks, malls, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, etc)
In case you are not sure about the right answer to a question, refer to your local real estate agent, who will happily advise you.
Final additional tips
- If you have pets, keep them away from potential buyers, as some people don’t like pets or are allergic to them
- Jet wash driveways, paths, and patios before a viewing
- Mow your lawn before a viewing (in case you have a garden area)
- Remove weeds from pathways and patios